"To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted." -- Bill Bryson

Monday, September 6, 2010

Young & Stupid? Yes. Have Fun. Pt. 9: A Touch of Jersey Flavor


We escape Pennsylvania and take the New Jersey Turnpike (aka I-95) all the way up to Route 3 in Northern Jersey which takes us straight to Rutherford, the place of the Shypailo family. My grandmother and uncle still live in the house where my uncles and my father grew up. We pull into the driveway to be greeted by my Teta (aunt) Christa and her happy dog, Ginger. My grandmother and my uncle are waiting by the front door with a welcome hug. It turns out to be a very short stay. We eat a tasty dinner (stir fry...with veggies! Our first veggies since we started the trip probably) and try and relax a bit before heading to New York. By 'try and relax' I mean Sarah and I take epic naps while the boys sit and chat with my uncle on the front porch. It was really nice to be able to rest for a bit and eat some good homemade food. Plus, I very rarely see my family so it was nice to have a bit of time with them as well.

We had to take a few photos with the fam, of course


Around 10pm Sarah and I wake up and gather our directions and New York information. We herd the boys back into the car after saying our good-byes and make our way east...towards our ultimate destination: New York City!

No comments:

Post a Comment