"To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted." -- Bill Bryson

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Young & Stupid? Yes. Have Fun. Pt. 13: Homeward Bound

Our first night spent without the boys and Sarah wakes up in the middle of the night and asks me, in a sleepy haze, where the boys are. I reply that they're in the living room on the couches. Sarah and I begin to gain a bit of consciousness and I realize that we are alone and the boys are hundreds of miles away in New York. I actually didn't remember any of this till Sarah reminded me the next day. Sort of a sad moment, actually.

The drive home is as full of adventure as the rest of the trip. In Virginia we get stuck in 2 and a half hours of traffic on I-95. Apparently I-95 is the only highway that goes south of the tri-state area. There is no accident or road construction, just enough cars to make the driving that slow. At one point Sarah and I put the car in park and switch drivers. It made our 12 hour drive a bit less doable.

And then there's Mississippi. On our 16 hour drive from Sumter, South Carolina to Houston we have no choice but to cross Mississippi again. The moment we cross the border into the state, it begins to rain. In fact, it is much more than rain. It is the worst thunderstorm I have ever driven through. The rain is so heavy it's almost impossible to see anything. The rain lasts literally until we reach the other side of Mississippi. The fact that I have to drive through all of Louisiana and part of Texas after putting up with Mississippi doesn't make me very happy, but we survive. We reach Houston late and literally collapse into bed.

The next morning we wake up early to make the last 3 hour drive of our trip back to Austin.

Our entire trip looks a little like this:


View Larger Map

FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment