"To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted." -- Bill Bryson

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Young & Stupid? Yes. Have Fun. Pt 1. Houston

It has begun! Actually, it began 2 days ago but we've been go-go-going that I haven't had time or energy to stop and write. I suppose the best place is always the beginning...

So we left Austin about 2 hours later than I thought we were. I packed up my small bag, cleaned out my trunk (at which point I dropped a very large book about Abe Lincoln on my foot. Huge bruise), and organized myself for the trip all by 6:30pm. Originally I was told Sarah and the Foreign Boys would arrive in Austin by 7pm. They didn't arrive till about 9pm though. Eventually we got on the road to Houston. I took Highway 71 to I-10 so we would be taken by downtown Houston so the boys could see the skyline at night. Both were really excited to see it when we drove by. Neither of them had seen anything like it. I told them they'd pee their pants when they saw New York City.

So we arrived in Kingwood around 1:45am, ate some snacks left out my mi madre and crashed. In the morning we were greeted by mi padre who cooked us up some breakfast tacos. After finally gathering ourselves we got on our way...or so I thought. To make a long and rather tedious story short, 4 hours later we're in Hermann Park in downtown Houston.



Starving and getting grouchy (mainly talking about myself here) we head to Little Bigs next to the Houston Zoo. Little Bigs is a slider place owned by the man who owns Reef, a supposedly delicious seafood place. The sliders were quite good and perfect for a pre-drive treat.



To further delay our trip we met up some friends of Sarah and The Foreign Boys. Luckily, this friend lives in an amazing bachelor-pad house in the Heights (a hip part of Houston). Eventually we convinced The Foreign Boys that New Orleans was waiting and we headed out around 6pm. Now on to the Big Easy...

1 comment:

  1. haha "To make a long and rather tedious story short, 4 hours later we're in Hermann Park in downtown Houston." I love how you skipped over all that frustration so beautifully

    ReplyDelete