"To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted." -- Bill Bryson

Monday, July 26, 2010

To New York and Back!

So a few weeks ago I was invited on an impromptu road trip to New York City. All expenses paid if my car can be used for the trip. Doesn't it sound almost too good to be true?
It was perfect timing as I was just beginning to mourn the fact that my next planned trip isn't until October (to San Francisco). My friend Sarah is a camp counselor with a few guys from England & New Zealand whom I met when they came to Austin for a weekend. The foreign boys, as I will call them from now on, wanted to do a road trip to see the US. Their original plan was to buy a car to do this; when they realized they'd have to deal with insurance and all that jazz they figured it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to offer a free trip to anyone with a car. That anyone became ME!

After figuring out if I could afford to take a week off work (yes) and asking my bosses if they'd hate me forever if I took a vacation (no), I gave Sarah and the Foreign Boys the ok. Let the planning begin! The Foreign Boys requested that we stop at the following locations: New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, DC, Philadelphia and of course NYC. Not sure why they chose this particular grouping of cities but after some google mapping I came up with the following route:


View Larger Map

So far I have arranged a place to stay (with friends I happen to know) in New Orleans and Philadelphia. Sarah and I luckily get to choose our own route back since we will be leaving the boys in NYC but I have been so consumed with the first half of the journey that I haven't even considered the second. Plus, Sarah and I plan to high-tail it back whereas our journey to NYC will probably span 4 or 5 days. I'll keep you posted on the progress! Safe travels.

2 comments:

  1. well, that looks like less than a day in each town! Where are you going to "double up". A good source for pointers is the classic film "If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Belgium."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the trip!

    ReplyDelete